Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Quick Cocktail - Orange Bourbon Soother


So, I'm not a big drinker.  When I was growing up, there was hardly ever any booze in the house.  Mamaw frowned upon it.  That's not to say she didn't imbibe as a younger woman, she did.  As she got older, however, she reverted back to her Baptist upbringing.  So, I really didn't understand booze until I was much older.

Now, as an even older gal, I'm coming into my own with the boozahol. I've infused my own vodka with hatch chili peppers, done black pepper vodka with the hub, and made my own limoncello. I've also experimented with making my own cocktails. Tonight, I made a keeper.

I regret not getting some pictures together, and I will, but I wanted to share this with you right away. I made a simple bourbon and coke, really, but with a delicious twist. I found a beautiful orange peel preserve while at Phoenicia Market the other day. They're Granny's Secret Homemade Whole Fruit Preserve Orange Peel. They come in a really beautiful jar too. That's the addition that I found I loved. Here's what I did.

In a highball glass, I put in 1 tbsp. of the orange peel syrup. I added a pony jigger of bourbon and topped it off with Mexican Coke. Please use Mexican Coke. It tastes better. I added a few ice cubes to keep it cold. I garnished with a rolled orange peel and a Maker's Mark bourbon infused cherry. Delicious and soothing. Bourbon just says "relax" to me. The orange flavor just blends so well with the bourbon and the Coke. It was blissful sipping, let me tell you.  I can't wait to play with this beautiful condiment some more.  I am percolating on the idea of using the orange preserves with limoncello.  I just need to devise the vehicle for it.

So, dear friends, I'll follow up with pictures tomorrow.  I wish you happy dreams and happy drinks.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds kinda like an Old Fashioned, only made with Coke....will have to try this once Jack is weaned....

    ReplyDelete